Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Jesus Party

Today Sam, age 5, asked how long it would be until his next birthday. I had to tell him it would be 11 months still.

"Too bad, because I already know what kind of party I want to have," he said. "A Jesus party!"

This pleasantly surprised me, so I stopped and asked for more information.

"We'll play Pin the Wings on the Angel," he began, "and we'll put a nativity scene on the cake."

"Oh!" chimed in Lindsey, "I have an idea. Let's get favor bags that look like the cape that boy had where the roses left a picture of Mary."

"You mean the Virgin of Guadalupe." I clarified.

The planning went on for about 10 more minutes and then the kids went off to play.

Just as I was feeling thoroughly satisfied that my 5 year old loved Jesus so much that he would do the honor of theming his birthday party after Him, and just as I finished convincing myself that I was doing a good job of raising Godly children, Sam came back.

"Actually," he said, "I think I'm going to have a ninja party, and the pinata will be a bad guy whose head flies off when you bash him. That's how the candy will come out."

I knew it was too good to be true.

3 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

My daughter has wanted a "Mary" party for a while now. Then recently while looking at one of those birthday superstore catalogs, she eyed the tea party stuff. No more Mary party, but we'll see.

Annie Bizzi said...

I love the "Jesus" party idea and think we should all have one for Jesus' birthday...only 3 months away! A much closer date then his birthday and he can still have the ninja guy with his head bashed off next year! What a character!

antonia said...

haha! aw! God Bless them!