Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Cast is Finally Off

After 7 long weeks, the cast came off my wrist today.

This is a mostly a good thing. I can take a real shower. I can scratch persistent itches without tools. I can get rid of the tan line splicing my forearm.

As with anything, there are some not-so-good things about this too. I am terrified I (or, more likely, one of my kids) will re-break it with the slightest bump. I still can't really move it back and forth or do anything with it. It's peeling, skinny, and seemingly deformed thanks to muscle changes and lack of light and fresh air. I even miss my kids'signatures and drawings that I carried around with me on the cast.

I am feeling quite in tune with the season right now. Spring is a time of new beginnings, fresh life, and that is what I am experiencing with the rediscovery of my right arm. Weak sprouts pop out of the ground and work on getting stronger with the help of water and light, much as my withered arm is doing now. I have to be careful not to trod on the seedlings by doing too much too soon, but when the kids are dragging a plow around, something is bound to be unearthed. Let's hope for the best!

No comments: