Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wicked

Last night I went with my mom to see Wicked at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. Wow, what a show!

I have always liked musicals, especially big productions like Les Miserables, Evita, Phantom of the Opera, and The Lion King, but it has been many years since I have seen one as wonderful as this. Great material, incredible performers, and amazing sets made for a truly fantastic night out.

I didn't know much about the story before we went, which made it all the more surprisingly wonderful. It is the untold story of the friendship between Glinda the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West (who really isn't wicked at all, just misunderstood).

It was fun, too, to be out in Hollywood. Although we live quite close to Los Angeles, I don't get there much. Each time I go I am reminded how fun it can be to catch the vibe of a big city. We had a great Italian dinner (Gnocchi Quattro Formaggi, mmmm) and went people watching at the corner of Hollywood and Vine. The feeling of old-time Hollywood is alive and well there on the Walk of Fame. Although not a fan, I was touched to see the flowers, candles and cards left on George Carlin's star.

If you get the chance, I definitely recommend Wicked (and a night out in general). It is well worth your time!

3 comments:

nicole said...

That is a great musical. I read the book before seeing it, so of course I thought it could have been better. The book is a great read.

Anonymous said...

Michael and I saw it 'On Broadway' in NYC. We both loved it, the music was fantastic..... So happy for you that you got a night out with Mom, what a treat. Am hoping to be able to see you guys before we leave for WYD but not sure if we'll be able to fit it in. Maybe we can meet half way one day for a picnic or something with the kids?

Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to seeing Wicked when comes back to SF in January, I have been cheeking almost everyday to see if the tickets for Wicked are on sale yet.