Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Intricacies of the Human Brain

While I was going through Lindsey's homework folder, I noticed the way she wrote her name in one of her workbooks:

Notice how her first name is completely backwards--not only the order of the letters, but the letters themselves (most of them, anyway). It seems as if she wrote this while looking in a mirror. Yet, our last name, written at the same time is correct.

Lindsey writes her name properly most of the time, but once in awhile it pops out backwards like this. Sometimes every single one of the letters is backwards, not just most as in this sample. She doesn't realize it when she does it; nothing looks odd to her until it is pointed out.

I don't think I could do this if I tried, and I don't think she could either. It is something involuntary, some strange quirk of the brain that she doesn't consciously control. It demonstrates to me how complicated and mysterious our brains are.

Fascinating, don't you think?

No comments: