Friday, January 05, 2007

Catholic Devotion Meme

I have been tagged by Nutmeg to complete this meme on Catholic Devotion. So, here goes...

1. Favorite devotion or prayer to Jesus?

The Litany of Humility. How much simpler my life would be if I could really attain even some of these seemingly unattainable petitions!

2. Favorite Marian devotion or prayer?

Hail, Holy Queen. My favorite part is how it refers to our life here on earth as our exile. This reminds me that life here is not supposed to be easy, that heaven is our reward for making it through all the tough stuff here.

3. Do you wear a scapular or medal?

No, I never have. As a convert, I haven't yet figured out what they all mean. I do wear a cross, though, which I rarely take off.

4. Do you have holy water in your home?

Yes. Recently, the kids put some up in by the door to their playroom and insist on dipping and crossing every time they enter. They even remind those of us who forget to do so to back up and try again. I haven't decided yet if this is sacrilegious since the playroom is probably the least holy room in the house, but it is so sweet to see them have any devotion, that I have let it continue.

5. Do you ‘offer up’ your sufferings?

When I remember! I usually offer maternity-related suffering (which accounts for most of my physical suffering) for my pregnant friends and their safe deliveries. Offering up contractions during labor, one at a time, literally gets me through it. I wish I remembered more often to offer up the non-physical trials of life, because suffering for another's intention really does help lessen your own burden.

6. Do you observe First Fridays and First Saturdays?

No.

7. Do you go to Eucharistic Adoration?

Occasionally, and I am always glad and filled with peace when I do. I should go more often. Our church has a beautiful 24 hour chapel, so I really have no excuse for not getting there more.

8. Are you a Saturday evening Mass person or Sunday morning Mass person?

Sunday morning, always, because I sing in the choir. Even before I sang in the choir we always went Sunday morning.

9. Do you say prayers at mealtime?

Yes. Usually just grace before, but sometimes since we are all together at the table (on a good day!) we remember someone in particular that needs prayers or some special intention our family has.

10. Favorite Saint(s)?

Saint Anthony, Saint Josemaria Escriva, Saint Joseph, getting to know Saint Cecilia.

11. Can you recite the Apostles Creed by heart?

Yes.

12. Do you usually say short prayers (aspirations) during the course of the day?

Yes, usually asking for help or giving thanks as the day plays out.

13. Where is your favorite place to pray?

In the car if the kids are quiet (or, more likely, absent) and in bed at night. I often fall asleep saying my prayers and I used to feel bad about this until a priest told me that angels finish unfinished prayers on your behalf in this situation. A lovely thought.

14. Bonus Question: When you pass by an automobile accident or other serious mishap, do you say a quick prayer for the folks involved?

Often. Sometimes I just gawk, but when it's really serious I always do and ask the kids to join me.

I always enjoy the memes. Thanks for the tag, Nutmeg! If anyone wants to put their own responses in the comments, I would love to read them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know we are not catholic but Jeffrey spends every waking moment with one and when he ead your post was quickto point out he knows some of the saints,pray at accident sites,and did ask for holy water and a crucifix for Christmas. We may have a budding catholic in the house!!He is my only hope that someone in my family will someday be an "official" Godparent!! :)

nutmeg said...

Thanks for doing it!

I agree with your #2. I love the "Hail Holy Queen" too... especially the "exile" part, and the phrase "valley of tears". Sometimes that is the only way to describe our time here... And then to hand it over to Mary is so comforting!

nicole said...

You are so blessed to have a 24 hour Adoration chapel. I would love to have one nearby.
And I think your kids playroom is very holy--that is where they are living their lives for God in their own way. I think it is a great place for holy water; and maybe, it keeps the peace a little longer. :)