Tuesday, February 01, 2011

What Does This Say About Our Family?

Tonight was open house at Sacred Heart School. We were visiting Lindsey's classroom when Sam caught sight of her "Life Goals" poster on the wall. We stopped to read it together.

There were about 10 things on the list, roughly half having to do with places Lindsey would like to visit. I was reading off this list--Visit New York, Visit Paris, Visit China, etc.--when I came to number seven: "See Big Ben".

Sam paused for a minute and then said, "Big Ben Roethlisberger?" clearly impressed that his non-football-fan sister would have this on a short list of her life goals.

After explaining to Sam that she meant the clocktower in London and subsequently witnessing his total disappointment in this, it occurred to me that we just might want to spend a little more time on world culture and a little less time on football stats.

Or not. 'Cause really, which will be more useful in everyday life? Seriously!

4 comments:

Karin McAdams said...

I'm with Lindsay!

I don't have your email and I have a question. Would you write me at karinm88@gmail.com?

Bianca said...

There is nothing wrong with wanting to see Big Ben R from the Steelers!! We are a Steeler family! Her we go Steelers! You better believe we are excited for the Superbowl this year!

Tina said...

You know I had to ask Kyle to get his response regarding Big Ben. He began his thinking out loud with "Well, I know it is not Big Ben Roethisberger." He then proceeded to figure it out - all still out loud. When I told him Sam's thought regarding Big Ben, he started rolling on the floor laughing. He loved Sam's devotion to everything football. As a baseball family, we understand your family's love of the game of football.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... yes, what does it say about your family..... That you were rooting for the wrong team? Did I wait long enough? :)xo