Sunday, November 14, 2010

Order Up

We have been busy writing our letters to Santa.

It is my understanding that the elves have less stress in their lives if they have time to respond to specific Christmas requests, so we are getting a leg up and starting early this year.

The way it works around here is that each child asks Santa for three things and can reasonably expect to receive one of those things, at Santa's discretion. So, for the last few days I have been sitting with each child and helping them write their letters.

This afternoon Bella said to me, "I'm going to put my princess bike with the baby carrier on back, my princess scooter and my princess kitchen all next to my bed." I stopped for a minute to process what she had said (it always takes me awhile since her chatter is near-continuous) and then realized that she had listed all three things from her Santa letter, as if they were a done deal.

"Bella," I said, "you know that Santa generally only brings one of the things from your list, right?"

She paused and thought this over for a moment. "No." She finally said with complete confidence. "I ordered all three."

2 comments:

Allaire Koslo said...

You are a shining light, brave and strong! I feel so lucky and privileged to know you. Thank you for you! I thank God for you. What you said yesterday touched all of us with such truth, grace,wisdom and beauty. Thank you. Chloe has asked for a "Volleyball" Christmas...so St Nicholas shall be serving, bumping, setting and spiking. Love to you and healing and wellness, Professor Playdoh Dr. Allaire :) aka Purple Breasts actor/Momma and Chloe too!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love that girl!
-AO