Saturday, May 04, 2013

Objectified

Yesterday evening Jay and I were cherishing some quiet time in our room.  We asked the kids for 30 whole minutes, something of a luxury for us.  Although I'm ashamed to admit how boring I really am, I used this precious time to take a nap, while Jay caught up on some prayers.

Every few minutes we were systematically interrupted by a tapping on the door.  "Mommy?" a little voice would ask each time.  Jay would kindly respond to each tap, "Mommy is not available right now, please come back in X number of minutes (however much of our half hour was left).  The taps continued at 5-10 minute intervals.

With about 10 minutes to go, Natalie had had her fill of the gentle rebuffs.  She changed her tactic:  "Dad, can I use mommy for a few minutes?"

We both laughed hard at that.  Jay comment that our four year old daughter had just completely objectified me and we found it funny.  Where is my Christian dignity?  On vacation sometimes where my children are concerned.  Go ahead--use me!  That's what I'm here for.

No comments: