Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bathtub Greenhouse

It is almost planting time! Jay is busy building the raised beds for our new, improved vegetable garden, while I have been starting the seedlings that can readily transfer.

For now, there are no baths in my tub. Only dirt, pots, and a lovely earthy smell that permeates the master bathroom.


The miracle of life is so apparent in a seedling. How amazing that a complete genetic package for a tomato or a cucumber is held inside a tiny seed! Even more amazing is that it grows, with little failure, when you simply add dirt and water it from time to time. How anyone can witness the creation of new life, whether it be human, animal, or plant, and not know for certain there is a God is beyond me.

In my bathtub greenhouse I am growing from seed: two kinds of tomatoes (early girls and grape), broccoli, cantaloupe, two kinds of pepper (bell and cubanelle), basil, Italian parsley, mint, artichoke, strawberries and freakishly giant pumpkin (just for fun, kids' request).

When the beds are done in a few weeks I will directly sow corn, lettuce, carrots, cilantro, dill, watermelon, peas, regular pumpkins, cucumber, yellow squash, pole beans and giant sunflowers.

Sounds like a lot, I know, and some will probably fail in our crazy desert weather and strong wind. But what fun to try!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks, now I have to add "coveting" to my confession list!

;-)